Thank you for purchasing a Glyph hard drive. Since Glyph drives comes pre-formatted for Apple/Macintosh computers, you don't need to format them on installation. If you decide to reformat or partition your drive at a later date, you can use 'Disk Utility' (supplied with the Mac OS X operating system).
Caution: This procedure will destroy any data currently on the drive. Before formatting a drive, save any important data it contains.
Before you begin:
• Plug external Glyph hard drive to Mac (usually USB or Thunderbolt).
• If possible, connect directly to the computer instead of using a hub.
1. To open 'Disk Utility' (located in Applications in the folder called ‘Utilities’).
- Open 'Finder'
- Click 'Go' in the menu bar
- Click 'Utilities'
- Or, open 'Applications' folder
- Click 'Utilities' folder
- Open 'Disk Utility'
- Or, search for 'Disk Utility' using 'Spotlight' (the magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner of the menu bar).
2. Click 'View' dropdown menu and select ‘Show All Devices.’
- (Note: This is where ‘Hide/Show Sidebar’ is if you do not see drives).
3. Select the top volume of the hard drive you want to format.
4. Choose/click 'Erase' in top center.
5. Rename your Glyph hard drive.
• Choose 'APFS' or 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled).'
• 'APFS' is the newer version of 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled).' Either one is fine.
• Choose 'GUID Partition Map.'
8. Click 'Erase.'
9. Wait for green checkmark.
10. Check your desktop to find that your Glyph hard drive is now formatted and mounted.
11. 'Get Info': Select hard drive and press Cmd+i to 'Get Info' if you want to verify everything looks good on your Glyph hard drive.
12. If you are still unsure about formatting your Glyph hard drive following these steps, here is an informative video tutorial we can recommend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i4KLqjYoZA
13. You are now ready to start saving, transferring and/or backing up. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any additional questions or assistance.